Saturday, April 08, 2006

Who will Mylapore choose?



Originally uploaded by theiyer.
Tamil Nadu is waiting with bated breath for the next Chief Minister. Considering that there seems to be no anti-incumbency wave against Jayalalitha, it seems to be a clear victory for her in the forthcoming husitngs. But then its impossible to predict the Tamil voters.

But an even more interesting battle is set to unfold in my own constituency - Mylapore - considered as the residence of Chennai's intelligentsia and one of the few Brahmin bastions in the city.

Its a three-way battle. Though I expect it to be a direct battle between AIADMK's S Ve Shekhar and DMK's Napoleon- both of them popular Tamil actors.

Do you see an young chap in red tee in the pic alongside - thats Santhanagopalan Vasudev of Lok Paritran - a party formed by IITians (check out my earlier blog on them). Santhanagopalan's pedigree is impressive but I dont forsee a great chance for him.

In my opinion, S Ve Shekhar's chances are bright considering that the brahmin votes will turn in his favour (as he is a Brahmin apart from Santhanagopalan. This is going to be easier as the other Brahmin-favoured party BJP does not have a candidate in Mylapore.

I am still contemplating as its a tough choice. But then I shall make up my mind before the elections.

 
Subscribe with Bloglines